Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Country Comes To Town

Hooray it's Show time again. Every Spring the country comes to the city. The Perth Royal Show is a time when the whole state brings it's produce to town as the Royal Agricultural Society list events for produce and livestock.
This year I have a multiple entry pass and I can go as often as I like. This is great because there is so much to see, that I need several days to see everything and there are different events each day.
Yesterday I met Aly and Jax there and we wandered around for several hours. I found out that they dislike going to see the animals with me, so I will go alone one day and spend several glorious hours alone with the livestock. However this also has a sad side, as several classes are judged first on them on the hoof and as carcases. It is sad to realise some of these beautiful animals are raised solely for eating.
There is food of every type available. Over the last several years there has been a trend toward providing a healthier option. One major supermarket provides a whole pavillon featuring fresh foods. There, my favourites are the strawberries and grilled mushrooms and if I am feeling decadent, the chocolate dipped strawbs too.
Jax went yesterday to buy her showbags. Again just about everything is available in them; chocolates, sweets, toys, soft drinks, football club memorabillia, Aussie flags, etc. Of course the choice is small if one follows a healthy lifestyle. But there are some things that I can only buy at the Show. Solarfruits products fall into this catagory. Solarfruits are located in the orchard country and they produce the best natural sun dried fruit leathers. They add only minimal preservatives and these are the nicest I have ever tasted. Just 99% pure fruit and 1% preservative dried naturally outdoors on special tables.
I am going to buy an Aussie bag and out it away until the Red Bull Air Race and/or Australia Day in January. Then everyone dress in the silliest way imaginable. As both of these event occur locally for me, I shall be there wearing a green and gold umbrella hat and wrapped in the Aussie flag. My footy team has a bag too and I just might get one of these. Yesterday I bought a great sun hat, pics will be posted later. Sufficent to say that my colour consultant sells a similar product for $90. The one I purchased was only $18.
Fancy finding a bargain at the show!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.