Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Reducing My Meds, Yippee!


Yesterday I went to the doctors office to see if I could reduce my asthma medication. A couple of years ago I was prescribed Pulmicort for my servere wheezing. My sister was still smoking at the time and I could not shake off the bouts of breathlessness. My diet then was also less than perfect, with a lot of fat, some dairy and bread. Lots of bread and white bread to boot.
Now over 2 years later I am dealing with mouth and throat problems that stem from a high dose of inhaled steroids, namely recurrent oral candida.
I have decided that I am going to attend the Mends Street Medical Practise and make Dr Li EE my practitioner. I have been without a doctor ever since my own physician sent me my medical records neatly bundled in an envelope and announced that she was closing her practise. No other explanation was forthcoming. I wondered if she had some terrible disease that forced her to take such drastic action. But no one I have asked has heard anything along those lines. They just say she simply closed up and left, leaving a lot of really elderly patients bewildered and without medical care.
Anyway I discussed dropping my inhaler from 800 ug twice a day, to 600 ug twice a day with Dr LI. To my amazement, she suggested cutting it down still further and using my bronchial dilator in the middle of the day if necessary. I could have hugged her. What a sensible lass she is and I am now happy about seeing her regulary.
The nice thing about going to see her is that it is such a lovely part of the suburb. Mends Street in South Perth, is directly across the river from the city and the ferries leave from the jetty at the bottom of the street. The medical centre itself is in an old turn of the century (20th century) building and is relatively untouched. I noticed yesterday that they have taken the old historic backboards out of the window to let in more light. This is a shame as this was an original part of the building. It's still a lovely place and suits the village environment of Mends Street perfectly.

Click on the picture above and you will see the weeds growing in the gutters. I wonder what happens when it rains. Maybe it still has turn of the century downpipes too.

No comments: