Thursday, October 11, 2007

Eating Out

Last night I went to a meeting at a local hotel just up the street. I had registered as vegan and I was told this was not going to be a problem. When I arrived the chef came and asked me what I wanted with my tea, salad or vegetables. I told him salad as I though that was pretty safe. Next he asked what type of dressing I wanted. I replied that a vinagrette would do nicely and could I have that on the side.
When everyone else got their meal, which was roast beef and vegetables, a small salad was placed in front of me. This consisted of just iceberg lettuce and a couple of halved cherry tomatoes. I think I spied one piece of cucumber, halved and a big slice of carrot that even Bugs Bunny would have trouble chewing. The biggest laugh was the vinagrette, which I was told was balsamic vinegar, turned out to be worcertershire sauce. I only found this out when I dumped most of it on my salad. This sauce is not vegan, or gluten free and eaten in this quantity can really burn one's mouth. I ended up going hungry and eating a pile of mentos candy, which also as it turns out contains gluten. This is something that I have just found out today. Of course these are my favourite snack 'foods'.
My celiac test kit is yet to arrive, but later I remembered that I had a positive IgA blood test done in 2001. I was told this was meaningless, because my IgG test was negative. This is not the case and a positive IgA test means that I have a 97% probablity of having celiac disease. ..This explains the bloating, burping and the gassy emmissions. Why wasn't I told about this at the time? Yeah! Why wasn't I told?

No comments: